Today, we’re getting nerdy. These are the straight to the core things you really need to know about search engine optimization, which is the process of obtaining higher rankings on search engines like Google and Bing. These are tried and true rules of the online marketing game that have withstood the test of time since the dawn of search engines, and are just as applicable to Web 2.0 and social media. The players have changed, but the game has not.
- Content is king, keywords are queen. Write frequent, good, original content on your site (blogs work great), with articles of 400 to 1000 words each, embedded with targeted keywords that are interlinked to your other blog posts.
- Understand thy keywords. People search for keyword PHRASES — do the research necessary to laser target the keywords you can really rank for. “Taxes” = bad keyword. “Personal Income Tax Return Preparation Denver” = good keyword.
- Tip: Google the following: “google external keyword tool”. Learn to use it, embrace it, love it’s data.
- Links back to your site are gold. Write guest blogs elsewhere. Write on HubPages, EzineArticles, etc. Put your URL in the description box on YouTube. Get StumbledUpon. Get Digged. Super secret sauce: Twitter tweet links are very well indexed by Google. Even more special secret sauce: A secondary Blogger blog ranks uber high with Google, since they own it. Tip: They also own YouTube. And Feedster. You do the math.
- WordPress is your second best friend it. SEO optimized themes (skins), SEO plugins, easy ability to post frequent, new content (see #1, above). If you are chasing SEO and don’t have a WordPress self-hosted blog, you’re missing out.
- On page factors: Make sure your primary keyword phrase is in your title tag, keyword metatag, and description metatag, even though these aren’t as important of a factor as they used to be. Use keywords when writing anything in HTML headline tags. Interlink to other pages on your site using keywords as anchor text.
If you follow these tips for your tax firm web site, you are going to be ahead of 95% of your competition. Most of these are simple steps, and you can have an assistant handle most of them, or even outsource these tasks to freelance professionals in your local area that you find via Craigslist.
Go forth, and boost they search engine rankings! 🙂